Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mount Abu "Nun Rock"

Nun Rock. Mount Abu.



Nun Rock. Mount Abu.
Nun Rock. Mount Abu.

While surfing a few days ago, I stumbled upon this unique painting of the Nun Rock, Mount Abu. Its uniqueness immediately caught my attention. I had heard of this rock and assumed it existed in the convent's vicinity, hence named NUN Rock. I thought I knew Abu like the back of my hand; how had I missed this remarkable structure of nature is beyond me? My query from the wise old sages of Abu regarding this legendary rock seemed like a tale set in time. They told me it was a rock shaped like a nun holding a child in its arms overlooking the tennis court that belonged to the Rajputana Club of Abu. I was also told that heavy undergrowth covered this rock. One elderly Rajput gentleman told me that the very shape of the rock had changed through lightning in 1994; a gigantic bolt of lightning struck this rock, splitting it into two.

They did this painting when the Rajputana Club experienced its hay days under the British administration. This beauty of nature, as depicted in the painting and its fascinating tale, sent me scampering to the site. I felt like a pricked balloon when I beheld the sight that greeted me. The tennis court was in shambles. At first, I could not figure out where this marvel of nature was. On scrutinizing the surrounding I discovered it behind a huge Peepal tree.
The present-day Nun rock is hidden behind the tree (view from the East)
The present-day Nun rock is hidden behind the tree (view from the East)

The painting reflects the passage of time and of memories of an era long gone. Rajputana Club was an exclusive club catering to the British, the Maharajas, and Rajas of Abu. The average person was not entertained here. The club was the chief hub of entertainment. They well equipped it with an assortment of all that pertained to the elite. Card tables, billiards, badminton courts and squash courts catered to their needs.


The Rajputana Club of Abu then. The club has been converted into a hotel

The Rajputana Club of Abu then. They have converted the club into a hotel.

"Cama Hotel"

1 comment:

  1. i ve seen this rock many times in 19 62-65 it resembled a nun in a cowl
    thelightining obviously changed all that
    v naidoo

    ReplyDelete