Search This Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2008

SPORTS DAY [ 29th SEPTEMBER,2008 ] ST.MARY'S MOUNT ABU

 ST.MARY'S MOUNT ABU


Bruno, one of the school dogs

Clicked Plummy on the way to school

The field is prepared for sports rehearsal

11'feet yet to go Lower Kodra Dam


A boarding student’s life is fantastic. Today, I drove to school via foggy curved roads, it coated my eyelashes in small globules of water droplets, and my head and the few strands of hair that remained glistened with beads of the late afternoon misty sprays that I had driven through. As I passed through the gates near the chapel, it overcame me with nostalgia for the happiest days of my life.

Memories of bunking out of limits to avoid earning a “one-way ticket” flooded back. I recall bunking lunch and running helter-skelter all the way to the school lake to get the eggs of the Bird of Paradise. Brother Keane, the Archangel of the Christian Brothers, captured me while ascending the wall behind the bogs. Before he could throw a tonne of bricks at me, I held up my hand and signalled to him to keep the peace because I couldn’t speak to him. I gently and delicately removed two eggs out of my mouth into the palm of my hand, much to Keane’s amazement. 
He indicated for me to go get gone before delivering the dreaded declaration, “You have earned your one-way ticket home.” In the years afterwards, I’ve earned quite several tickets, but Lady Luck has always been on my side, and they have never sent me home.
Mr. James came over to say hello as I was remembering at the refectory, and our talk focussed on the concerning monsoon conditions. This year’s rains started late, and we have gotten little rain; if the scenario continues, it will be difficult for us Abuites, as they only provided us with water every three days and for just two hours. Amen! If the rain gods do not favour this Abode in the next weeks, it will be back to bathing twice a week for the next year. I recall the excitement of washing one’s self to one’s heart’s content flat in three minutes every Thursday and Sunday. Every time we left the general bathing area after the two days, we felt like newborn babies. You won’t believe it, but there were some guys who attempted bunking and getting their twice-weekly baths if it was workable. Whew!

When I looked at the primary field, it intrigued me to see the servants hard preparing the field for the field and track activities that would signal the school’s sports day on September 29, 2008. I’m sure all St.Marians will remember with fondness the thrill of competing against other teams for the coveted prizes and the “COCK HOUSE “the overall winning team. 

September is a month of work, tears, and excitement for the lads because it brings out the best in everyone, including the staff, servants, boys, and Princey. With the guys singing on stage for the Annual Concert, followed the next day by the school’s Annual Sports Day, the Olympics fade into obscurity. The lads truly put on a show, and I can assure you that their performances are on par with, if not better than, those of the pros in the Olympics.

I enjoyed this time of year because it brought out the best in me. To date, NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE has beat the schoolboys at the open school relay put out to the public; I wonder how the Olympic champions would do on St. Mary’s soil.

I’ve included a couple of photos above that I’m sure will evoke sentimental recollections of days gone by. Enjoy your watching!



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 am

    Ains,

    I've read every article you have published in the 'Mount Abu, The Abode of the Gods' and appreciated all of them. Good work. Hope they continue in the same vein

    I agree wholeheartedly with you that my school days were the best days of my life. The monsoons were not to my liking. I didn't like the continual dampness, getting wet every time one ran to the bogs, damp clothes, the inner walls with big wet patches, gumboots filling with rain on our Wednesday and Saturday walks, several football games cancelled, etc. Even then, there were other compensations. There were new indoor games to enjoy, carrom, table tennis and whist to name a few. Boxing was also on the menu. There were film shows every Sunday (instead of per fortnight during the rest of the year)in the Gym. Will we ever forget the 'sunshine holiday' which we were granted when there was that rare respite and the sun appeared? During the sunshine hol, many of us walked to the old School lake, about a mile away to try swimming in the cold, dirty water.

    Towards the ending of the monsoons, we began a 1 month practise for Sports Day. About 2 weeks into the practise, we were allocated our 'divisions' based on height in inches, age in months and weight in pounds. The seniors commenced 'club' drill which we really, really enjoyed. To this day, I can remember the 8 swing exercises. Music Pop was always available with his rendition of 'The Merry Widow' to which we performed.

    Then, it was the real highlight of the year, Sports Day. Parents visited and we were all keen to impress. The finals of several events (high jump, long jump, throwing the cricket ball, cross country, 880 yards, etc),were held days before the big day. All the other events were held on Sports Day, and as you say, after Concert evening.

    It seems to have left an impression on all the students of St Mary's. I have returned to the School on 4 occasions, each time for Sports day. I remember the years most clearly, 1961, 1998, 2004, and 2007. Each time I have entered the Old Boys race. It gets more difficult as the years pass. If I'm lucky, I may have one more visit left in me for 2011 when I'll be 70. Guess that the other Old Boys will have to carry me around the 200m course!

    Bob Amore 1957

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Bob those were the days my friend.Hope to see you in 2011,and hope to see you as fit as you were the last time you dropped in.
    Ains

    ReplyDelete