Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mini Nakki Lake Mount Abu

Mini Nakki Lake Mount Abu



Upper section of road below Wordsworth Farm Middle section of road
Final lap to the mini lake
Freshly pitched tents to attract the tourists
They requested me to furnish information on the Abu Uttarayan farms whether it was operational as a hotel, guest house, or resort. Being an Abuite, it puzzled me that I could not place this spot. My curiosity got the better of me and I made inquiries regarding this unusual place. My queries drew quite a few blanks at first, but then I was given a lead, it’s probably a new name given to Mrs Wordsworth's Farm en route Guru Shikhar. I have been to this place over the years; the earliest was in the 60’s when the austere, grand old lady from New Zealand was alive and after whom the farm was named. I have not been to this place in quite a while, so I picked up my camera, kicked my bike, picked up a friend on the way and headed for the farm. The drive to the farm is lovely and peaceful but today it was anything but peaceful. There was mind-blowing traffic of Diwali holidaymakers. On reaching the junction that branches off to the farm it surprised me to see a broad road being prepared. I drove along this unfinished road and reached the farm. There was a gate with a lock on it; yes it was the Uttarayan farm all right as on the left side a board bore the name. I was pretty keen to take a few snaps of the cottage where Mrs Wordsworth lived so that I could write a few words in praise of this ascetic and mysterious foreigner who lived here out in the wilderness. On asking the chowkidar and the present manager if it was possible for me to snap the forlorn cottage, they became quite hostile. I was pretty shocked at their uncouth behaviour, it was as if I had threaded upon some mystery they did not want me to stumble upon. I then asked the manager if they used the main building opposite the cottage as a tourist haunt to which he curtly replied “NO” it's private property. While I was there, what caught my attention was the big concrete road being built right along the boundary of the farm. My friend Harry, who had accompanied me to the farm, found out that this road was being built from Mini Nakki Lake to the main road. We took a hike down the road and walked to the water’s edge. I took a few snaps of the surrounding area and headed back up the road. It looks like the forest department is all out to promote Abu as one glorious tourist destination. They should complete the road in about 10 days. This place is going to draw crowds of holidaymakers because of its unique location and a new picnic spot. Already tents have been pitched opposite the main road to entice tourists for a stopover for snacks and a quick meal. In a few years' time, I see this place being highly commercialized, and with it, the woes of modern pollution disrupt this once quiet and peaceful environment enjoyed by the New Zealander who lived here to her very tragic end.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:51 pm

    Great investigative journalism. I vividly remember being to this place with you,Uncle Peter and all us kids to this farm some time 84 or 85. We all were there for about an hour, relaxed, drank water and walked around the place and then proceeded to Guru Shikar . The lady was really nice. She met and shook hands with us individually. As far as I remember she died in a car accident.
    WOW.. protest this.

    ReplyDelete