Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary Gujarat.

Awe-inspiring Bird Sanctuary “THOL LAKE” Gujarat


"The Thol Lake, in Gujarat a birders paradise."
The Thol Lake


Lake almost full



Safe and sound



Water skiing Thol Lake



Weaver birds




Blue-tailed Green Beater



Listen to my song



I’m all Ears



Cattle egret



Sigh where my mates are



Great egret


Searching


Soft landing



I am not a sparrow what am I?



Little Cormorant



Cooling off




Long-tailed shrike



River tern


Ready for the plunge

Where are you guys?


A buddy proposed a visit to the Thol Bird Sanctuary in Ahmedabad in December, which is only 30 to 35 km away. I refused the offer since I was unfamiliar with the location, missing out on a good chance during the peak season for migratory birds showing a wide range of hues.
Following the advice of my family doctor, I spent the first week of September in Ahmedabad. I received extensive medical tests at Samved Hospital, including a CT Angiography. Fortunately, all of my tests came back normal, and after a thorough examination, my doctor informed me, "You're good for another 5 years, but avoid reverting to a reckless lifestyle." It was a significant respite for someone who had previously felt doomed.
We made the journey on August 5th, determined not to miss the opportunity to investigate the bird sanctuary this time. We arrived at the lake after paying the admittance charge, where we encountered a plethora of birds among the lush and quiet surroundings. I saw only a few young people enjoying the water's edge. Tiny wetlands and scrub woods surrounded the large lake on high embankments, making it a suitable home for a variety of bird species.
This year, I'm looking forward to witnessing the migration of birds to The Thol Bird Sanctuary, a somewhat obscure site.

sign boards

Bird posters


Focus on the Gujarati bird name

Thol Lake
For those who understand the Gujarati Language the name of the birds is a scream. It made my day when my companions read the name of the bird from the brochure on our way back to Ahmedabad.

1 comment:

  1. hi uncle hpoe u r fine. thanks about the thol artical. nice pictures.you have to come in january first week to visit again thol with me.......ok buy take care

    ReplyDelete