Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Tiger Path /Old Cart Road Mt.Abu


Tiger Path /Old Cart Road Mt.Abu

I’ve spent a good deal of time and energy looking for the ‘Lal Munia’, it has taken me on many a trip down jungle paths I traversed 40-45 years ago.  A fortnight ago I heard that the Red Avadavat (Lal Munia) had been spotted at the school premises by one of the staff there. I immediately headed there but was pretty disillusioned not to see the bird I had been looking for all these years. I had gone with high hopes to finally discover the trove of McKenna’s Gold, well the search is still on.
On my return from Ahmedabad on the 16th Dec, I was given to understand that the Lal Munia had been spotted along Tiger Path. The next day the 17th Dec I headed for Tiger Path. I parked my scooter and hoofed it till Lime orchard but did not get to see the elusive bird; on my way back I made a round of the school. I was told by one of the staff members that he had seen some Munias by the dam. On reaching the dam I spotted them but low and behold they turned out to be the Striated Munia. Apparently, these birds were mistaken for the Lal Munia.  Here are some snaps I took that day.


Striated Munia,



Striated Munia,







Yesterday I once again ventured out and this time drove my scooter all the way till the path overlooking lime orchard. The road seemed repaired and got me itching for a go at it, knowing I could possibly get stuck halfway and be miles away from any kind of help.  The roving spirit took over and I proceeded to go ahead throwing all caution to the winds.
The drive was awe-inspiring I was swept away in a storm of nostalgia; I’m glad I did not chicken out and took the plunge. I did have my share of apprehension when suddenly a troop of monkeys made a mad scramble hither and thither as if something was on their trail. My scooter also stalled once and had me kicking away and cursing like the mad Greco. Well to make a long episode short I have this to say “Guys, it’s the ideal trekking trail, so when you are next in Abu do make it a point to go down the original cart road that once was used centuries ago by the rulers of Rajputana “ Will give you some true tales related to this trail in the near future, till then enjoy the few photos I took while on the trail. 

Golden Horn

Plummy

Old cart Road

Old Cart Road

The town of Abu

Road to Abu






1 comment:

  1. One year we went down the so called short cut path to the plains & Abu Road which extended from Tiger's Path, only to get quite lost & finally arrived at Abu Road Railway Station after some 6 hours of weary trekking ! I am sure classmates of '69 will recall. Brother O'Neill was with us. We wisely returned by bus.

    Susheel Kak

    ReplyDelete