Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

The Mozzies of Mount Abu

Mosquitoes of Mount Abu




Mozzies Mount Abu
Mozzies Mount Abu


Have you ever tried to run away from the mozzies, well all evening I’ve been doing just that with no relief from the little devils, the bloody bloodsuckers? Even as I’m writing about the suckers they are playing havoc with my legs in shorts, the only defence I have against them is now and again to take a swipe at them with my Chinese racquet; you know the one that zaps them every time I made a hit. I’m sure a cannibal would have been delighted to be right where I am sitting before my monitor, as the roasted stench from the zapped mosquitoes would have whetted his appetite. The bloody heat is oppressive today after a week’s long crazy breeze that has left us, folks, wondering what has happened to the climate. Is it global warming?? Or just some freak of nature. I’ve been shunting in and out of the room to get some relief from going over the edge, much to the annoyance of my bitter half who is keenly watching her TV soaps. The mozzies out here are mostly the garden variety but the little devils are like the legendary Piranha; they can pierce through the toughest fibre to attain their goal. Their prick leaves a welt which can be extremely irritating, but there’s one consolation, you do not get dreaded malaria from them.

Here I’m raving and ranting about these unavoidable pests, I should have lit or used any of the many mosquito repellants to keep these little buggers at bay, but let me warn the elderly and the not so robust folks to avoid these modern-day wonder marvels as they can be life-threatening, ask me and other folks who have ended up at the end of this ominous spectrum. My system now cannot be exposed to any kind of repellant, as it sends me into limbo. When I fall off to sleep, I have a vague dream; I dream hordes of these little guys’ gang up and literally lift the bed sheet I’m sleeping on and carry me off to their feeding ground. More on the climate update tomorrow.

I advise tourists visiting India to carry a large tube of odomos or some other concoction to get some temporary relief from these mozzies, a part and parcel of our life on the sub-continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment