Search This Blog

Friday, June 13, 2008

CROAK- CROAK Abu's Monsoons

Took this beauty with my Nokia last evening

The weather has been playing truant throughout the year, we had a prolonged cold and bitter winter, our summer season has been swamped with constant winds making it a heaven for us residents as there haven't been any remarkable hot days except for one or two days that I can recall. We have had quite a few days of unpredicted rainfall over the past few weeks. We do get the occasional May showers every year but this year it’s far from normal.
Last Saturday when I woke up and had a look at my mug while brushing my teeth I saw a few strands of my flaxen hair( my sentinels) all kinked up I knew the monsoons were around the corner. I yelled to my bitter half to get her house in order as the monsoons this year were going to be early, she answered back sarcastically, “Yea you Heathen have you gone and hung the statue of St.Anthony upside down”, early rains my foot. Some foot, the first official monsoon shower last evening pounded the hillside with a vengeance. The rain came down in torrents it was intense and within minutes the bare streams were full of gushing water. If only I had my camera with me I would have documented the filth and plastic debris that flowed past my house. There was also an awful stench for quite some time, the shower did not last very long but it was a blessing at least the place got cleaned up. I only hope this early shower isn’t a harbinger of dread that our monsoon is going to be short lived. The element of uncertainty in our monsoon season over the years has always left us in a quandary. We in Abu depend exclusively on the monsoons for our drinking water. We have precisely two water reservoirs, Upper Kodhra Dam and the lower Kodhra Dam, in dire emergency the water from the lake is utilized, if we have a poor monsoon we in Abu have water rationing, i.e. depending on the severity of water in our reservoirs we get water every alternate day . OH Global Warming see to it that the Rain Gods be kind to this Abode of the Gods and shower her with rain. I think we can add one more God to our list, the modern God “Global Warming”

2 comments:

  1. UNCLE & AUNTY
    HAVE A NICE AND LONG MONSOON SEASON
    I LOVE ABU MONSOON .....AJAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ajay why don't you land up here to enjoy the climate regards Ains

    ReplyDelete