Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Forest Fire from the Funeral Pyre Mount Abu

The Orange coloured Temple down below from where the fire originated

I was busy photographing the Lal Munia (Amandava amandava) , when I received an SOS phone call from my daughter Jennifer around 11.45 am from St.Mary’s School. “Dad the forest along Tiger Path is on fire.” I bade adieu too my shooting of the Lal Munia and headed for the school.


On my way I passed the Abu Fire fighting Truck heading back for more water, the scene around the school was quite chaotic as it was around lunch time, vehicles that had come to deliver lunch for the day scholars had to move further down towards Paddy Bridge to avoid the spreading forest fire along the main school road.

When I reached most of the undergrowth has almost burnt itself out .The thick bellowing smoke fanned by the strong breeze was quite nerve racking and suffocating. I did manage to take some video shots of the aftermath of the fiery destruction caused by the fire.

While talking to the locals I learnt that this fire originate from the FUNERAL PYRE further down the valley near a temple where the “Thakurs” have their burning ghats . A Thakur from a nearby village was being cremated at this place (God rest his soul) when a strong gust of wind caused the fire from the funeral pyre to set some bushes on fire in the immediate vicinity, before anyone could do anything the fire spread like all Hades had broken loose and within moments the fire raced fed by the dry undergrowth towards the Tiger Path behind the school. The schools authorities must have acted swiftly as the fire brigade some local water tankers and hose pipes from the school were all thrown into action to stop the spread of this freak forest fire.

The Thakurs from the Hatamji village came out in large numbers and set to making fire breakers leading to their village, people from all walks of life began landing up some to photograph the scene, others to give a helping hand and the school bearers parted with some of their precious saved water to help stop the spread of the fire towards the school.
This year the forest is in a bad way due to the drought conditions and low humidity in the atmosphere only hope there is no repeat of forest fires like we saw in 2009. Should there be a repeat it will be devastating for this Eco-Sensitive Zone.


Along the Tiger Path road

Pockets like these keep flaring helped by the breeze



Real Sad

Hope it is contained and does not spread towards Spongie


Wonder if this beautiful nest gets spared !

I know I have been off the web for a long time as misfortune visited me not once but twice this year will give you feedback as soon as my frame of mind returns back to normal.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 pm

    Ains,

    I was surprised at the extent of the forest fire. I knew from my brief visit on Dec 4th 2009 and viewing the very low water level in the New Kodra Dam, that the forest would be very dry. This has proved the case. I hope the authorities are taking steps to regulate funeral pyres and, indeed, any similar fires, eg barbeques.
    How will the school replace their store of precious water, I wonder?

    Bob Amore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a real pity... normally I would expect the villagers would be the ones to be most careful since they are the ones most directly impacted.. so guess must have been a real freak accident. Anyway, authorities should ensure that only designated areas are used for funeral pyres..

    Another three months left for the rains, so you guys are going to have a long, dry summer to go through..

    Best luck & regards,
    Susheel Kak

    ReplyDelete