Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

“Takayasu Arteritis” rises from its slumber Mount Abu.

"Takayasu Arteritis" awakens from its coma.

Liz, my bitter half, who had contracted this "pulseless disease” in the year 2003, lived a normal life until a year back. I noticed things were not going right for her when she began to sprout huge blister-like sores on her right leg where her toes had been amputated at the beginning of her ordeal. I also noticed a discolouring of her left leg along with these blisters. Our family Dr. on being appraised of her condition, treated her with a course of antibiotics. He had a blood test done to see if any additional complications had taken place in her blood chemistry. All seemed well.

The antibiotics did help for a short period, but things did not seem right. I questioned Liz on many an occasion if all was well. She always responded with an affirmative answer, but in my heart, I knew all was not what it seemed. I’ve always been a keen observer and realised that Liz was like a drowning person, grabbing at straws. Her composure had undergone a drastic change. Here in India, we have a host of soothsayers and godmen who think they have a solution to every problem that God may throw at us poor mortals. I tell you they never miss an opportunity to capitalise on any such situation and Liz, out of sheer desperation, resorted to help from one or two of them. I am certain that the disease in her blood vessels has worsened, causing new symptoms like sores and discoloured feet.

There is, as far as I know, no known way to cure Takayasu’s Arteritis. Her treatment from 2003 till last year seemed to indicate that the disease was under control and that it had burnt itself out, but that was not the case. 
Liz sensed something was wrong when the chilly weather in December aggravated her ailment. She would rub her legs at night. The evidence revealed that the illness, which had been dormant for seven years, unexpectedly resurfaced and affected her.

Why this dreaded disease that seemed to be under control raised its ugly head is anyone’s guess. Was it the cold winter situation that helped to trigger it, or did Liz stop her medication in between? Or ageing? Whatever the cause, Liz would now have to undergo several investigations. Liz, who avoids going to the hospital like the plague, had no choice. Our family physician, Dr.Sharma, recommended us to ‘Life Care Hospital’. Liz left for Ahmedabad on the 16th to meet her younger daughter Jennifer, who was to return from a brief holiday from Shillong. I was to join them on the 18th of Jan to celebrate Keith's birthday. I took Liz to the hospital on the 16th to have a Doppler test run on her leg. Someone had recommended Dr Samir Dhani for Liz's treatment, so I reached out to him. He informed me of her prognosis. Liz's health was deteriorating. Some damage had occurred to the capillaries that had been feeding and keeping her right foot alive for years. LDr. Samir Dhani, who was recommended to me, informed me that Liz's foot would have to be removed.

 My heart sank as I knew I had not prepared Liz for this ‘amputation’. How was I to break this news to her?




The Doppler test conducted on 16 Jan 2010



The Doppler reports made out by Dr.Darshan

Prognosis of Dr.Sameer Dani




rang Dr Dushyant on the 18th of Jan and set up an appointment for her admission to Life Care Hospital. I had appraised Liz on her condition and said she needed hospitalization. She went into depression and began to sob. She did not want her leg amputated. I assured her no one would amputate her leg without her consent. I told her they would run some exclusive tests on her to determine the condition of her leg and her overall state.


They admitted Liz to the hospital on January 20th. She remained there for a week, being pumped with IV medicine day and night and having numerous blood tests performed on her. A team of experts came to see her to assess her condition. It had been a long and exhausting week for everyone present. She did not experience the excruciating agony she had been experiencing previously when on medicine. On the 26th, she was given another Doppler test to evaluate if her foot had improved after all the medicine she had received.

While she was in the hospital, I gently informed her that it would be best if she prepared herself for an amputation. I called her mentor, Dr. Anandan in Chennai, and asked him to help her see the light. I enlisted the help of my other friends and her older daughter to psychologically prepare her for the trauma. She was sick of being in the hospital and wanted to go home. I prepared her discharge papers and planned to take her home, but before I did, I left I spoke with Dr. Dushyant and informed him that I would be back soon with her for the amputation since there was no other option than for her to suffer through the agony of dry gangrene.
Her Doppler, done the day before her discharge on the 26th, revealed just a little improvement over the previous Doppler test. I knew it was curtains for her right leg and that it would only be a matter of time before Liz realised it would be better to get rid of it than to live through the excruciating agony that the pain would cause her.









No comments:

Post a Comment