Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Prowling Leopard Mount Abu

Leopard on the prowl



Mrs Stephen Moyer took this beautiful photo while a guest at the Lair in February 2010. 
She used a Canon EOS 500D, 

I have spent many a sleepless night hoping to snap the leopard that has been on the prowl for the last month or so in our area of Kumārwāla. Liz, who had over two dozen cats has now only a few remaining, as this wily carnivore picked most of them up for a late-night snack. It was in late Feb when I first saw this elusive Leopard; I cursed myself for not taking my camera with me. He was sitting on a rock behind the house near our water tank a distance of 20 feet. He had obviously come for some easy prey, our domesticated cats that hang around the house at night.
He has attacked and mauled two of Walter’s dogs that sleep outside in the church compound. Three days ago, he picked up a bitch full-time from Walter's house. By the way, Walter is my brother-in-law, and we know him as the dog man in Abu–He takes care of more than a dozen and a half Pariah dogs and had some classy ones at home. These Pie dogs are the caretakers of the church properties. Last week the leopard paid a visit to my daughter’s house near the Neel Kant Temple, he caught hold of her half-breed Alsatian by the throat, his squealing woke her up and she immediately put on all the lights and began shouting at the top of her voice. The panther left the dog and scooted, which seemed like an inexperienced animal. Probably a mamma's boy.
My next blog will be on the sloth bears of Abu. 


No comments:

Post a Comment