Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The not too elusive crocodile Mt.Abu

The elusive crocodile Mount Abu.

I had written about the sudden appearance of a crocodile in Nakki Lake in the month of October 2006, and its subsequence disappearance. I remember vividly how it caused a big stir amongst the authorities and the local populace at large. It affected even the tourists as they were too shy to go for their pleasurable boat ride in the lake. Well, it’s been a repeat this year as once again a crocodile has found its way into the bosom of the lake. The local newspapers are having a ball splashing their photographs all over the front page.
I go daily to see if I can get a snapshot of this not-so-big crock, but so far have been out of luck. I chitchat with the local forest personnel deputed on duty at the lake for the lookout of the crock. He tells me he has not seen the crock from the time they deputed him. When I spoke to some locals living around the lake I got some very conflicting views. One told me that the crock the other day made a meal of a black cat that had gone down to the water’s edge, another told me that a group of young men drunk as lords while on a round of the lake late at night encountered this croc on the road and one of them with some Dutch courage went to catch it by the tail, but apparently, the crock dashed into the bushes at the side of the road, some tale.
The crocks this year have left their haunt in Trevor’s Tank, because of the better-than-average monsoon season for greener pastures. One croc has made a home in a small water body (Santsaravor) opposite the Heritage Palace Hotel. The one in the lake must have also migrated from the sanctuary to the lake. Eventually, it will make its way back to its home in the sanctuary's heart.


Took this snap at Mid-day on the 9th of October 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment