Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Beckoning hills of Mount Abu



Mount Abu is a magical reserve of evergreen and deciduous forests, grey granite lava rocks, embracing cool breezes, and greenery all around. Those of us fortunate mortals who have had the pleasure of romping down the various forest paths and experiencing the natural beauty of the mountains are hooked for life. The serenity and the tranquility one experiences here is akin to having visited Paradise, a paradise that haunts those souls who have left and gone away to live elsewhere.
Those who have lived even for a short duration in this paradise cannot resist the urge of the beckoning hills; the charm is so powerful that sooner or later former Abuites make their way back here to experience the nostalgia.
Yesterday I banged into Stephen, an Aussie who brought me up on the latest happenings in and around his work place. Stephen works at the Global Hospital, a venture of the Brahma kumaris. He told me an ex-Abuite who had migrated to Australia had come to the hospital with a wild fowl in his possession. I then asked him how come?     He then gave me the gist of the story.
John Stracey (son of Late Deputy Commandant E.L.Stracey, an IP officer who was posted here in Abu in the CPTC in the early sixties) came to visit his Alma Mater St. Mary’s School, and indulge in the nostalgia of this magical Abode. He had gone for a morning walk the day before to sunset point, being an Abuite he rambled   down one of the jungle trails. What he witnessed blew him away; a local had set a crude trap (a small fishing hook at the end of a nylon sting) for the wild fowl that strayed there. A fowl had apparently taken hook line and bait and lay there helpless. John must have been furious and I’m sure he must have blown a fuse; he immediately went into town and got the authorities to witness the scene. He then took the bird down to the global hospital to see if he could save it. I wish I could have met his as I believe he was an ace Athlete while he was studying here in school.
 As I mentioned in my last post poaching in Abu is quite common, I’m sure any Abuite who reads this post of mine can vouch for the same and also mention the intriguing items and methods used by our present day poachers.

1 comment:

  1. I am a retired IPS officer trained by Mr E.L. Stracey. Recently, I self published a book In which I devoted one page to him as one of my mentors. I know he is no more , but I am keen to send the book to his son's Mike and John. Could you help me in finding their addresses and email Id's? I Was Director , National Police Academy Hyderabad and DGP Karnataka before I retired in 1998. I am familiar with Mt Abu , the school where John and Mike studied when I was a trainee in CPTC in 1963. My autobiography "Pursuit of Law and order" and recent book "Sutras for Super cops:The State of the Heart Policing" are available on Amazon.in. You will find some references to Mt Abu.

    ReplyDelete