Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2018

World Sparrow Day Tomorrow 20 March 2018.

World Sparrow Day Mount Abu.


Abuites quite a few go out of their way to promote the growth and population of the house sparrow. Daily food in the form of bajra and other bird seeds is placed in convenient places for the birds. They also put birdhouses up outside buildings to help populate them.
 The population a few decades ago saw a big decline in these lovely creatures. Today their numbers have gone up and they blow away tourists from Gujarat when they see a House Sparrow. This is what I have overheard them say. 
"Juoo Juoo Chakli che…..photo leg photo ley ane gear mokal WhatsApp pur.."

I was recently in Ahmedabad for about a month.  I saw and recorded a variety of birds, but one thought kept popping up. Where have all the sparrows gone from Ahmedabad? Imagine my joy around the 15 days or so, I did manage to see and click a single sparrow. I’m sure the folks in Ahmedabad are conscious of the plight of the House sparrow.
 
The single House sparrow I saw while in Ahmedabad.

The population of Yellow-throated Sparrows in Mount Abu has tripled in the past 5 years. Local folks call them the jungle sparrow.

 To know more about SPARROWS click World Sparrow Day 

No comments:

Post a Comment