Search This Blog

Monday, June 08, 2009

Sunbird in my garden Mt.Abu

Purple Sunbird - Cinnyris asiaticus    


Sunbirds nest May 30 7.30 am

Purple Sunbird - Cinnyris asiaticus   - Female










Nest in the afternoon around 1.30pm

Day two interior decoration day 8.30pm




I stumbled upon this little sunbird building its nest on the Jamun tree in our garden on the 30th of May. The little one kept darting to and fro and in a jiffy, she had her nest going great guns. She completed the main structure from about 7.3 0am to 5.30 pm. Not once did I see the male sunbird give a helping hand, it does sound familiar, especially in this part of the world.
Day two and three went into the interior decoration of the nest; carefully chosen soft feathers and lovely silky threads went into this master craftsman’s abode. Today I had a peek at the nest all seemed quite on the western front, she’s probably incubating her eggs. I still haven’t see the male around, is she a modern bird I wonder ‘a single mother’! Will post some more on her as and when I get the time. Happy viewing


Purple Sunbird - Cinnyris asiaticus    nest completed 












No comments:

Post a Comment